Tuesday, December 13, 2005

A Review of Arabic Study Materials, Part 3

Welcome to the third installment of my review of Arabic study materials. Today’s review is another language vocabulary program – Vocab Clinic’s - Modern Standard Arabic (www.vocabclinic.com), $59.00, available by download or CD-Rom.

Although this is not a flashcard based program like Transparent Language’s - Before You Know It Deluxe, it is a vocabulary program. Vocab Clinic has helpfully grouped the words according to category. The categories differ enough from BYKI to enough of a degree that one will find it useful to purchase both programs. Like BYKI, Vocab Clinic allows you to download a demo version of its program. It’s a very limited version of it, but sufficient for ascertaining whether you feel it is a program for you.

Vocab Clinic’s - Modern Standard Arabic includes the spelling in Arabic and transliteration. They also give the past/present form and the singular/plural form. The feminine spelling is included where applicable. All given spellings include the pronunciation by a native speaker of Arabic.

The program also comes with the ability to print select words from within a category or the entire list of words in a category in English to Arabic script or English to Transliterated Arabic. At first glance I thought it was kind of pointless, but after exploring that function I warmed up to it.

I actually like to utilize this program in a very low-tech way – I review the words in the program to hear them spoken and then I copy the words over to blank flashcards. I do this because I can review the flashcards practically anywhere I happen to be when I find myself with a little free time. The words are spelled in the program with the necessary short vowels and I can copy of any notes I feel necessary from the language use section.

What I like about Vocab Clinic’s - Modern Standard Arabic is that it includes language notes on the use of the words and it has an extensive selection of words in each category.

What I don’t like about Vocab Clinic’s - Modern Standard Arabic is that there seems to be a two-installation limit on the software. I haven’t actually tested this yet as I am going to be purchasing a new laptop shortly and want to use the second installation on it, but it did seem to be rather clear that there was a limit in place.

Some may find it of interest that Vocab Clinic also offers what appears to be the same program but for Egyptian Colloquial Arabic, and supposedly, a Modern Standard Arabic Verb Clinic is in the works.

Although I am concerned about the possible (probable?) installation limit, I would have to say that Vocab Clinic’s - Modern Standard Arabic is definitely worth the money. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment