Sunday, May 31, 2009

Learn Iraqi Dialect in 10 Minutes!

At least that's what this video promises. I actually learned a lot of words that I didn't know from this video and from asking some Iraqis all of these words are in common usage. I always like to make sure the words I'm learning are actually used. I used to flip through the Hans Wehr dictionary and memorize interesting words only to use them in conversation later and have the person I was talking to give me a blank stare. I stopped learning words from the dictionary after having this happen to me, say, a dozen times. Let's just say that the word مفلِّك doesn't seem to mean what good ole Hans Wher says it does.

As for the video, when I was watching it and I couldn't quite understand exactly what the meaning of a word was I just typed it into Google and looked at the images. For instance, I didn't know what a صنبور was so I typed it into Google and it gave me a bunch of pictures of water faucets. This method is really useful in learning a language, but sadly it's mostly only good for nouns and adjectives. If you search for abstract concepts the pictures aren't likely to help you with the meaning of the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment