Saturday, July 1, 2006

Beer, Bacon, and the World Cup

Last night was about as good as it gets here in Yemen I believe. One of the German students, Sabina, suggested that we watch the Germany-Argentina quarter-final match at the German Embassy, so yesterday evening I headed off with Sabina, Uwe, and Jenny to the German Embassy.

It promised to be a night to remember and we weren't disappointed. Not only did Germany defeat Argentina to make it into the semi-finals of the World Cup (I'm a big fan of Juergen Klinsmann and the German national team), the German Embassy was providing free beer/white wine along with pizza and some other snacks! It was like I had died and gone to heaven.

I didn't think life could get any better than that until Uwe asked if I wanted to continue the party at the British Club. Now, English Tom had invited me to the British club several times before he left but I always declined as I felt too busy each time he had asked. If I had only known I would have accepted every time. Although the beer at the British club wasn't as good as the beer at the German Embassy, they did have one thing the German Embassy did not; that thing being a BACON, Lettuce, and Tomato Sandwich.

Mmmmnnn.... bacon. It was good. No, it was very good. Even after eating the pizza at the German Embassy I ate two BLTs at the British club. Couple this with going to Al-Fanous(sp?) and discovering that they actually served steak capped off a rather pleasant week. Let's face it... Yemen is a dangerous and uncertain place. A few days of beer and pizza are about as good as it gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment