Monday, September 14, 2009

And Law Enforcement Wonders Why Citizens Are Suspicious

(Refer below to the facepalm and double facepalm pictures in the previous post as needed while reading this post.)

I live in Maricopa County, Arizona, home of the notorious Sheriff Joe, he of the green bologna, pink underwear and "Tent City." He's also making a name for himself in harassing the brown people who were here before the white people showed up. He's annoying and eventually, sooner or later, justice will catch up with him. But apparently things are even more whack over in Pima County (largest city: Tucson).

Ms. Elvira Zatarain, aged 49, was driving home Friday evening, June 12, when she was pulled over for driving down the center of the road. She was asked if she was impaired and if there were illegal substances in the car. She said no to both. The officer administered a field sobriety test, which she passed. Then he asked Ms. Zatarain if he could search her car and purse. She consented.

The officer found a red bag with some crystals in it in her purse. A field test did NOT indicate they were methamphetamine. However, the officer proceeded to issue Ms. Zatarain a citation for "possession of an imitation controlled substance." Ms. Zatarain went to justice court last Thursday, where she was told that if she pled guilty, she would receive a $130 fine and be sentenced to drug counseling.

Ms. Zatarain decided to pursue a trial, because, as she said, she'd been given the crystals to ward off evil. Had she been found guilty, she would have been fined $272. However, Pima County's Misdemeanor Enforcement Unit decided, probably after the first article appeared in the paper last Friday morning, that they were going to drop charges. Oh, there might have been some language barriers or something, per yesterday's article. In the meantime, Ms. Zatarain has learned a big lesson: Do Not Consent To A Search of Your Person and Vehicle. It Will Not Go Well For You, Even If You Are As Pure As The Driven Snow.

Now, no matter how you feel about magic crystals (and, I think crystals are pretty but I ascribe no magic to them), this is just crazy. Especially the charge: "possession of an imitation controlled substance." *facepalm* **double facepalm** I know why this is a crime, because, believe it or not, there are scummy drug dealers who aren't really giving you what you're buying when you seek them out for the teeth rotting goodness that is methamphetamine. Shocking, I know, that you *can't trust drug dealers.* But gosh, you can't even trust the cops. This cop was absolutely reaching for this charge. Unbelievable. Thankfully Ms. Zatarain said nope, I want my trial.

(I feel some sympathy for Ms. Zatarain as I was pulled over on Friday evening, June 19, as I was leaving a Tempe bar/restaurant. I knew this guy was behind me, and had been behind me for a solid mile. I was watching my speed limit VERY carefully because at that point on University Dr., it changes. But I still got pulled over. It was kind of hard for him to argue that I was impaired when I was sitting there waiting for him with my license, registration and insurance. But I was both amused and annoyed. Yes, it was my 49th birthday. No, I hadn't been drinking. (I don't drink.) Etc., etc....I didn't have to do a field sobriety test, but you know, it's like DUDE, you could have been arresting the real drunks instead of going after me. Waste of time that was. And no, it really did not increase my respect for the local police.)

No comments:

Post a Comment