Monday, June 29, 2009

Michael Jackson

I was shocked to hear that Michael Jackson had died, young at 50. (When you're 49, you can say that.)

A lot of thoughts have raced through my head, along with an amazing background soundtrack of MJ songs from the last 40 years or so. Yes, I said 40. He's been around for a very long time. For you young'uns who only know the MJ of Thriller or Bad, I knew the MJ of "A B C" and "Got to Be There" and "Rockin' Robin" and "Ben." And then there is my favorite MJ album, Off the Wall. It's the album of my coming of age. But even in the laughter intro to the "Off the Wall" single, you hear the hint of the Thriller to come.



From the accounts I've read, it appears that MJ must have died instantly. I hope that was the case. And it also sounds like he'd had a great practice for his London performances the night before.

But this is a reminder to all of us that death comes, sometimes you see death coming, but a lot of time you don't. Death sneaks up on so many of us, particularly those of us who are even in good health and takes us away to our eternal fate. It's worth pondering upon.

Other people will quote the Bible, let me be different and quote the Qur'an:
Every human being is bound to taste death, [and] in the end unto Us shall all be brought back: whereupon unto those who have attained to faith and wrought good works We shall most certainly assign mansions in that paradise through which running waters flow, therein to abide: how excellent a reward for those who labour-those who are patient in adversity and in their Sustainer place their trust!
(Surah 29 The Spider verses 57-59)


Something to think about here. Death is coming.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

And here's a question. If you go look on Amazon.com, you'll see that the top-selling CDs right now are by Michael Jackson or the Jackson 5. They're selling like crazy. Well, I heard that Billy Mays, legendary TV pitchman, died today. Will there be runs on his most famous product, OxyClean, now that he's dead?

(Yes, I have a sick sense of humor. So sue me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment